Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Self-Improvement





My high school German teacher once said to my classmates and me that we should strive to keep ourselves in a "constant state of repair." That sounded wrong to us, so naturally we objected and presented our counterargument. He astutely pointed out that we had misinterpreted his meaning, having taken it as keep ourselves in a constant state of dis-repair. Rather, his meaning was we should always strive to do better, no matter how good we are. Fair enough. His explanation of the distinction has actually stuck with me in the 34 years since that exchange in class. I happily declare myself in a constant state of repair.

Today's photo is a reminder of the natural tension between the states of repair and disrepair. The building portrayed is clearly in disrepair. The technique I used to produce the image is part of my quest to improve myself, to become a better photographer, to experiment, to fail, to try again, to succeed. It's called "stand developing", and this image was from a roll I processed using the technique. It's a little grainy, a little contrasty, but I think it suits the subject matter. I'll get better at it, so I'm inclined to keep trying.

My trifocals, hearing aids, arch supports, and dental work remind me of my current state of disrepair. My family, friends, and colleagues give me the feedback I need to mark progress on my personal and professional state of repair. I'm counting on the latter outpacing the former... I'm inspired by those around me who are also in pursuit of self-improvement. Thanks for your example, it's fun hanging around with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment